Valley High School (VHS) is located in West Des Moines, a suburb of Des Moines with approximately 55,000 residents. VHS is a three-year comprehensive high school with approximately 1,900 students. It emphasizes the Four A’s of education: Academics, Activities, Arts, and Athletics. The four A’s system is designed to give students a wide range of experiences and knowledge while in high school. Valley strives to provide students with a high-quality education that includes exciting and unique opportunities and challenges that will stretch their minds and abilities. A Parent-Teacher Organization and active athletic, music, debate, theater, and drama booster clubs support our students.
Accreditations: State of Iowa, North Central Association
Facts About Valley High School
- 202 total teachers, administrators, and support staff
- 15:1 student to certified staff ratio
- 48 credits are required for graduation
- More than 200 course offerings; 35 offer dual credit from Des Moines Area Community College
- 6 world language courses offered
- 21 Advanced Placement (AP) classes; In 2014, 576 students took a total of 1,076 tests. In 2013-14, 170 students were recognized as AP Scholars.
- 4 core areas that offer an Honors Diploma
- 70 percent of all students participate in activities outside the classroom
- 21 varsity athletic programs offer opportunities for interscholastic competition
- 1 Infinite Campus Portal providing parents and students real-time access to their personal grades, attendance, and daily announcements.
- New media center, counseling center, student services, and student commons
- New safety features throughout
- 3,200-seat field-house
- 1,400 seat performing arts center
- Olympic-size indoor swimming pool
- Fully equipped weight room and an aerobics room
- All-weather metric track
- 8,000-seat stadium
- Complete vocal and instrumental music facilities
A renovation project, started in 2011, includes a new auditorium, updated performing arts practice space, and a three-story addition with a FEMA-approved storm shelter. The renovation also included updates to the weight and aerobics rooms, science labs, family-consumer science classrooms, and cafeteria.