Our School Board
The school board of the West Des Moines Community Schools is here to serve you and govern the school district.
- The school board is made up of seven individuals representing the parents and citizens of our community.
- The members are elected at-large by residents of our district community.
- They receive no compensation for their service.
- Each school board member is elected for a term of four years. Terms are staggered to ensure continuity of leadership.
- Elections are held bi-annually in odd-numbered years on the second Tuesday in September.
The role of the school board is to:
- Set policy for the school district.
- Select an executive officer and delegate to that officer the authority for carrying out the policies, plans and administrative details.
- Determine the operational efficiency of the schools not only in dollars and cents, but also in the results of instruction.
Past Board Presidents
2004-05 John Ambroson
2005-06 Deb Thomas
2006-07 Jill Hansen
2007-08 Barbara Burnett
2008-09 Mark Lyons
2009-10 Terry Tobin
2010-11 Tom Suckow
2011-12 H. Milton Cole
2012-13 Elizabeth Brennan
2013-14 Elizabeth Brennan
2014-15 David J. Brown
2015-16 Dr. Vicky Poole
Learn more about school board elections: