An Award-Winning Attitude
From Olympic gold medalists to award-winning authors, the West Des Moines Community School District has a history of excellence both inside and outside the classroom. Former students such as Olympian Shawn Johnson, “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape” author Peter Hedges, Motown artist Carrie McDowell-Hodge and American Idol contestant Katelyn Epperly provide our students true success stories they can look to and know they can also reach for the stars. This award-winning attitude is evident in every program throughout the district:
- The district is on the College Board’s 5th Annual Honor Roll, earning this honor by demonstrating equity and excellence in its Advanced Placement programming
- Graduates have earned countless awards, including the President’s Volunteer Service Award, Coca-Cola Scholars and a National Peace Essay Contest winner.
- Many of our teachers have been recognized for their excellence as well, including the Art Educators of Iowa Outstanding Elementary Teacher for 2014, 2014 Business Teacher of the Year, and the Iowa World Language Association (IWLA) Elementary Educator of the Year.
- WDMCS teachers were also named finalists for the Iowa Teacher of the Year award in 2015 and 2016.
- Valley was awarded the Iowa All-Sports High School Championship by the Des Moines Register five consecutive years from 2003 to 2007 and again in 2010, for a total of six.
- The Valley debate program was named to the National Forensic League’s prestigious Societe De 300 after placing in the top one percent of all NFL chapters nationwide in 2010.
- The Valley Marchmasters were selected to perform in the 2004 Tournament of Roses Parade.
- The Valley High School Music Department was honored with the first GRAMMY® Signature School award in 1999.
- The district was awarded the Certificate of Achievement for Excellence Award in Financial Reporting by the Government Finance Officers Association and the International Certificate of Excellence in Financial Reporting by the Association of School Business Officials.