For more than 100 years, the West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) has been preparing learners for life.
We are the ninth largest district in the state with more than 9,000 kindergarten through 12th grade students, approximately 1,200 employees and 13 schools. The WDMCS is a public school district accredited by the North Central Association of Secondary Schools and Colleges and the Iowa Department of Education.
Located in central Iowa, the WDMCS is part of a vibrant suburban area directly bordering the state capital of Des Moines. BusinessWeek recently named our community one of the best places to raise children and Money Magazine named it as one of the Top 100 Best Places to Live.
Working with our community members and parents, we endeavor to inspire joy in learning.
Our high school alone offers more than 190 courses that allow students to discover their passion. There’s more:
- We have one of the state’s only Artful Learning schools, inspired by Leonard Bernstein.
- Students begin learning Spanish in the first grade, and our high school offers more foreign languages than nearly any other school in Iowa..
- Students can play in an orchestra here as early as fourth grade; in a band as early as fifth.
- Our high school was the first Grammy® Signature School award winner.
This is just a glimpse of the diverse and engaging life in the WDMCS. We welcome you to learn more about us:
Facts About WDMCS
- 3 serving grades K-6
- 5 serving grades
Junior High Schools
- 2 serving grades 7-8
- 1 serving grade 9
- 1 serving grades 10-12
- 1 alternative serving grades 9-12