The WDMCS Transportation department strives to serve the needs of our students and to provide safe, efficient transportation to school and school-related activities.
Free transportation is provided to the following groups meeting the listed criteria (Iowa Code Section 285.1):
- Grades K-8 students living more than two miles from their assigned schools as determined by their primary residence
- Grades 9-12 students living more than three miles away from their assigned schools as determined by their primary residence
- Involuntary Transfers, who are students transferred by the district to a school other than their designated attendance center
Students who do not qualify for free transportation, but live outside the walk zone for their assigned school are eligible for transportation for a fee. Transportation is not available for families who live inside the walk zone.
Free or Reduced Bus Pass
Any student who lives in the paid transportation area and qualifies for the free and reduced-priced meal program may also apply for free and reduced-priced bus pass fees. Please contact your school’s secretary to apply.
A voluntary transfer is a student whose family makes the request that he/she attend a school other than the assigned school within the district and this request is granted. A voluntary transfer student may ride a district school bus if he/she meets the established criteria:
- Meet at an existing bus stop within the attending school’s boundaries.
- The bus must have space available for the student requesting the transportation. Students living inside the school boundary will have preference.
- Regular bus pass fees must be paid.
The West Des Moines Community School District covers 36.6 square miles. District boundaries are rather irregular, but generally lie north of Warren and Madison County lines, south of Urbandale Avenue, east of the Dallas County line and west of 63rd Street.
Color-Coded Boundary Maps
District boundary maps are available at the link below and are color-coded to reflect the nine elementary school attendance areas and the two junior high school attendance areas. All students living within the West Des Moines Community Schools attend Valley Southwoods for ninth grade and Valley High School for grades 10-12.
2102 Delavan Drive West Des Moines, IA 50265
Activity/Billing and Bus Pass Fees
Bus Passes and Walnut Creek Campus Routing
Carrie Van Weelden
Special Needs Routing and Non Public Reimbursements
Did you know?
- We transport approximately 3,600 students each day.
- We drive 44 routes to and from school each day.
- We traveled 737,509 route miles during the 2010-11 school year.