Skip to content
Community Education News
« Back to News Index

CE Today: Oct. 1893—West Des Moines is incorporated

written by Alexandra Wade

 

incorporation-imageThe modest railroad town of Valley Junction was incorporated in October 1893. The city had only 500 residents, but quickly started to grow with help from leaders like James C. Jordan, Valley Junction’s first settler. The city adopted the name West Des Moines in 1938, hoping the new name would create a “suburban image” for the city and foster progress.

Watch for more posts about history and observances on Wednesdays during the first full week of every month!