The West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) Grading Practices Task Force will meet at 5:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2017, in the Community Room at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, in West Des Moines. This meeting is open to the public.
The purpose of this task force is to address the district strategic plan goal area on consistent, effective grading practices in the West Des Moines Community Schools. The task force is charged with researching and identifying effective grading practices and providing specific recommendations to the WDMCS Board of Education for grades K-12 in the district. Additionally, the task force will recommend professional learning needs for staff, communication needs to students and families, and a timeline for implementation.
For more information, please visit: www.wdmcs.org/category/grading-practices/.
Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2017 Agenda
Learning Resource Center
3550 Mills Civic Parkway
West Des Moines, Iowa
- Complete self-assessment in groups (Admin, Teachers, Parents)
- Develop shared understanding of various models of effective grading
- Decide on a continuum of implementation for effective grading practices
- 5:30-6:00: Groups complete self-assessment
- 6:00-6:15: Groups share areas from self-assessment that show a need for improvement/action/discussion; Compile and collect data
- 6:15-7:15: Learning Stations Activity- Continuum Introduce; Be thinking about self-assessment; Station 1- Review Traditional Grading Practices (20 mins)- Rob Schebel; Station 2- Read Handout on 15 Fixes for Grading- O’Connor (20 mins)- Tom; Station 3- Competency Based Webinar- Nathan (20 mins); View 17 mins of this video http://knowledgeworks.org/worldoflearning/2013/07/competency-education-webinar-series/ – 3:04-4:40 Intro, 8:10-12:50 CBE Overview, 29:50-44:00 Iowa CBE
- 7:15: Continuum- What does the West Des Moines School District have the capacity for in terms of effective grading practices?
Future Meeting Dates
Topics: Grading Practices