There will be no school for WDMCS students on Friday, Feb. 24. It is a professional development day for staff. District offices will be open 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. For other important dates throughout the school year, please see our Calendar at a Glance: bit.ly/CalAAG-1617.
The West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) Board of Education will hold a workshop and regular business meeting on Monday, Feb. 13, 2017, at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, in West Des Moines.
The workshop begins at 5:15 p.m., followed by the regular business meeting at 7 p.m.
These meetings are open to the public.
All classes and activities in the WDMCS are in regular session today, Tuesday, Jan. 17, 2017.
The current weather forecast for Monday shows possible adverse winter conditions during the morning hours. The Superintendency will monitor weather reports early Monday morning and determine if conditions warrant a delay to the start of the professional development training, Kids West, or Homeschool Assistance programming.
If a delay is called, Kids West and Homeschool Assistance will be notified through their programs and local media, social media, and the district website. Employees will be notified through the district’s emergency notification system.
Third-quarter transportation fees are due Tuesday, Jan. 10, 2017. You can make payments at your school or online at www.wdmcs.org/online-payments.
This is also a good time to change your child’s bus ridership details if needed. Please complete and submit the “Make Change to Current Ridership” form at www.wdmcs.org/departments/transportation if you need to make changes. You can also contact the Transportation Department at 515-633-4902.
This is a reminder that classes will resume, Tuesday, Jan. 3. In the meantime, don’t miss the great things happening in the West Des Moines Community Schools:
- The 2017-18 school year calendar was approved. The first day will be Wednesday, Aug. 23.
- The West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) will be offering our highest number of online learning opportunities yet for the 2017-18 school year.
- The WDMCS Board of Education is joining school boards, families, and communities across the state to rally support for public education.
- Valley High School students are publishing a magazine dedicated to increasing action towards ending homelessness.
- Superintendent Lisa Remy, Ed.D., and three WDMCS Board of Education members received awards at the Iowa Association of School Boards’ (IASB) 71st Annual Convention on Nov. 17.
Stay up-to-date with all district happenings through the district website and social media, newsletters and announcements, and other forms of communication.
The West Des Moines Community Schools (WDMCS) Board of Education will hold a special workshop session and business meeting on Monday, Dec. 19, 2016, in the Community Room at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, in West Des Moines. The special workshop session will begin at 5:15 p.m. and the special business meeting will begin at 7 p.m.
These meetings are open to the public.
Happy Thanksgiving break from the West Des Moines Community Schools!
Remember, there is no school Nov. 23-25. All district offices are closed Nov. 24 and Nov. 25. Classes will resume Monday, Nov. 28.
Enjoy the break!
See our online district calendar for more important dates.
STAFF ONLY UPDATE from Oct. 26:
The West Des Moines Community Schools conducted a test of its weather notification system on Oct. 25. The School/Community Relations Office sent the message to all district families and staff, but a filter prevented district staff without children in the district from receiving the message.
We will conduct a second notification test to ensure all staff members can receive messages during school closings at 7 p.m. on Nov. 22.
If you have not done so already, update your contact information in Infinite Campus using the staff directions below.
From Oct 14: West Des Moines Community Schools is getting ready for winter! To help keep students and staff safe, we provide notifications of inclement weather or emergency situation school closings. We will be conducting a test of this weather notification system at 7:30 p.m. on Tuesday, Oct. 25.
The call will come from 515-633-5599 and is ONLY A TEST.
Get ready for the test call and future weather notifications by following these instructions:
Students and Families
- Want to make sure you receive the call?
- Have an Infinite Campus account. If you don’t have an account, call your school office.
- Once you have an Infinite Campus account, you may enter your preferred phone number in Contact Preferences.
- Have questions or need assistance?
- Your school office can answer your questions or update your information.
- If you have an Infinite Campus account, you can also use these instructions to change your information in Infinite Campus: http://bit.ly/WDMCStestcall.
- Have an Infinite Campus account. If you have a district email account, then you have an Infinite Campus account.
- Enter your preferred phone number into Infinite Campus using the steps identified below.
To Access Your Infinite Campus Account
- Log in to Infinite Campus (https://campus.wdmcs.org/campus/westdesmoines.jsp.
- For teachers and administrators: log into your Infinite Campus account as you normally would.
- For building support staff: use your district ID as the username and the password given to you at the beginning of your employment.
- For Nutrition Services, Operations, & Kids West employees: if you have never accessed your Infinite Campus account, your username is the first part of your email address (before the @) and your password is happy1234. Once you successfully log in, you will be forced to change your password. Please change your password once you log in. Teachers and building support staff can use their district network (email) passwords. If you have accessed Infinite Campus before, use those credentials.
- Follow the directions below to edit your phone information.
- Log into Infinite Campus (https://campus.wdmcs.org/campus/westdesmoines.jsp).
- Once in Infinite Campus, click on “Census” and then “My Data” on the left. Your information will come up on the right.
- Click “Request Demographic Update” at the top of your information.
- Make your appropriate changes. At the bottom is a table of checkboxes. Any numbers you check as High Priority will be the numbers that receive the notification calls.
- Click on “Save Request” at the top.
REMINDER: Your changes are not automatic. This is simply a request to change your information, and it will need to be approved by the district before it will be active. Depending on the number of requests for changes, the approval can take up to 12 hours, so please submit your changes before 7:30 p.m. on Monday, Oct. 24.
- More detailed instructions can be found here.
If you can’t log in to Infinite Campus or change your information, contact your school’s office or Susan Tiemens (email@example.com) for assistance.
There are many employees who do not regularly access their Infinite Campus accounts. If you do not have or use your Infinite Campus account, please contact your supervisor to ask about weather notification procedures. Also, please remember that anyone can call 515-633-5555 at any time to check for weather announcements.
To recognize the National School Lunch Program and the 30 million children it serves every day, the West Des Moines Community Schools will celebrate National School Lunch Week from Oct. 11-14, 2016.
National School Lunch Week will emphasize the healthy foods that are offered at all of our schools through the National School Lunch Program (NSLP). The federally funded program provides nutritionally balanced, healthy meals to students daily.
Please watch for more information about National School Lunch Week and how you can be involved from the WDMCS Nutrition Services Department!