Budget News: Parent Forums Scheduled – Be Informed, Share Feedback
Please note that the Feb. 17 meeting has been rescheduled for noon on Friday, Feb. 21.
This is a reminder that the West Des Moines Community Schools will hold three public meetings to provide district families the opportunity to give feedback on proposed budget cutting options.
The parent meetings will be held in the Community Room at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines on:
- Saturday, Feb. 15 from 9-10:30 a.m.
Monday, Feb. 17 from 12-1:30 p.m. RESCHEDULED: Friday, Feb. 21 12:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, Feb. 18 from 7-8:30 p.m.
How can I advocate for a program, school or area or show my support for a specific reduction option?
There are several ways:
- Attend one of the meetings listed above. They are being structured specifically to provide information about the district’s budget and the reduction options and to gather feedback.
- Fill out the online feedback form available here through Monday, Feb. 24 at 5:00 p.m. (CST) The feedback form is now closed. Thank you for your input.
- Email WDMCS Superintendent Dr. Lisa Remy at email@example.com.
- Attend the Monday, Feb. 24 School Board meeting, which will start at 7 p.m. at the Learning Resource Center, 3550 Mills Civic Parkway, West Des Moines.
Where can I find the budget reduction items?
The list of options generated by parents, community members, staff, teachers, administrators, employee unions and School Board members are here Budget Reduction Options (page 12).
Who will be at the parent meetings?
The following people will be at the meetings:
- Superintendent Dr. Lisa Remy
- Chief Financial Officer Paul Bobek
- Associate Superintendent of Teaching and Learning Dr. Laurene Lanich
- Interim Superintendent of Human Resources Carol Seid
- Director of School/Community Relations Elaine Watkins-Miller
Where can I find information about the district’s budget situation?
- All the articles on the budget published in the district’s newsletter since November are available here Budget Updates
- An overview is here District Plans to Reduce Expenses.
- More detail is here 2014-15 Financial Projections (PowerPoint)
- Further information on the district’s budget is here Budget & Finance Webpage
What is the timeline for the budgeting process?
The district has been working on the current budget reduction process since October 2013. The final budget reduction packet is tentatively set to go before the School Board on March 10 in order to proceed with planning for the next fiscal year. For more information on the budget timeline, please visit Budget Reduction Process Timeline