WDMCS Board: Hires Principal, Curriculum Director and Approves Website Redesign
The West Des Moines Community School District Board of Education met in regular session on Monday, March 12, 2012, and took the following action:
- Approved the hiring of Graham Jones as the principal of Jordan Creek Elementary beginning July 1, 2012;
- Approved the hiring of Stephanie Wilson as curriculum director beginning July 1, 2012;
- Approved the Kids West 2012-13 Parent Handbook;
- Held two public hearings, one on the Walnut Creek Campus Re-roof Project and the other on the Hillside Elementary Exterior Repairs project;
- Approved a proposal from MidAmerican Energy ($966) to retire existing natural gas service and install a new natural gas service to serve the Walnut Creek Campus at 1020 8th Street;
- Accepted the low bid of $313,500 from Academy Roofing & Sheet Metal of Des Moines, Iowa for the Walnut Creek Campus Re-roof Project;
- Accepted the bid from Hansen Company ($1,730,278 base bid, Alternate #1, Alternate #2) for the Hillside Elementary Exterior Repairs project;
- Accepted the Terracon Agreement ($9,006) for construction materials testing and special inspection services for the Walnut Creek Campus project;
- Accepted agreement to contract with Allender Butzke Engineers, Inc. ($10,473.12) for the Construction Special Inspections and Testing services for the Stilwell Junior High Phase III Project;
- Approved an amendment to the 28 E agreement for the 2011/12 school year with the partnering preschools: Apple Tree Grand, Apple Tree Ashworth, Olivet Preschool, Sacred Heart Preschool, St. Timothy’s Preschool, WDM Christian Preschool and WDM United Methodist Preschool per the Iowa Department of Education to allow the preschools to access up to 90% of the qualified student allocation per eligible student provided the preschool provides appropriate documentation of expenses;
- Approved an agreement with Iowa Communications Network for 200Mb of internet services ($1,449.84 per month) for the district;
- Approved electronic time clock maintenance support for Kronos ($22,899.01) for the 2012/13 fiscal year;
- Approved a renewal contract to provide programming through Four Oaks for up to 10 students who have been suspended or expelled from the district;
- Approved a contract with Flying Hippo ($65,000) to update the district and Community Education websites, along with providing options for schools to meet current business standards in website design, structure and navigation at a minimum, plus integrate current social media employed by the district;
- Approved a contract addendum with driver education provider Street Smarts to extend the agreement through the summer 2012 courses and to shift responsibility for registration and fee collection to Street Smarts;
- Approved a “Post-Issuance Compliance Policy” to formally establish the role of the Board Treasurer as the district’s Compliance Coordinator for monitoring post-issuance [debt] compliance;
- Approved resolutions regarding the sale of $10,000,000 School Infrastructure Sales, Services and Use Tax Revenue Bonds, including the issuance and providing for and securing the payment of bonds, the form of Tax Exemptions Certificate, the Continuing Disclosure Certificate;
- Set two public hearings for 7 p.m. on Monday, April 9, 2012 to present the 2012-2013 Certified Budget and to amend the 2011-12 Certified Budget;
- Paid the bills dated March 12, 2012 in the amount of $ 5,291,867.33;
- Adopted the consent agenda including the minutes of the February 27, 2012 regular meeting and workshop, personnel resignations, personnel recommendations, support staff new hires, certified staff initial contracts, and a student trip request from the Valley Euro-Challenge team to travel to Chicago, Ill., to compete in the Preliminary Round of the Euro-Challenge Competition March 27-28, 2012, change orders to the Walnut Creek Campus project for L.A. Fulton & Sons ($1,784) to replace the existing kitchen wall hydrant, to replace the existing kitchen faucet and garbage disposal and to modify the existing piping rough-in for the water coolers near Restroom 1207, for Van Maanen Electric ($301 credit) for changes to the site lighting circuits, for Olympic Companies contract ($2,137 credit) to use rigid board insulation in lieu of spray insulation at wall types 2, 2A & 2B, and for Rochon Corporation ($10,204) to provide metal panels from Brockway Mechanical and Roofing for the rooftop unit screening, change order to the Valley High School Improvements 2011 Phase 2 project for Katelman Steel Fabrication Inc. ($4,871) to add section of handrail required at lobby stair and brick relief angle, for Nikkel and Associates ($0) to relocate power in Corridor C2401, for Tri-City Electric Co. ($0) to make technology changes.
Additional information and all contracts noted above are available in the board packet.
Above is an informal summary of the actions of the West Des Moines Community Schools Board of Education at recent meetings. This is provided as a service to district staff and the public. This is not the official minutes of the board meeting, but a quick rundown of action taken, not necessarily in chronological order. Official board minutes must be approved by the board per Policy 212.1 and then are posted on our website (www.wdmcs.org).