WDMCS Board: Valley auditorium, prom, and fees
- held a discussion on Phase 3 of the Valley High School renovation project. For more information, please visit https://www.wdmcs.org/district/construction/valley_2011/2-27-12_Update.pdf.
- adopted the consent agenda including the minutes of the Feb. 13, 2012 workshop and regular meeting and the Feb 15, 2012 special meeting, personnel resignations, personnel recommendations, support staff new hires, a student trip request from the Valley Science Bowl team to travel to Washington, D.C., to compete as State Champions in the National Science Bowl Competition April 26-30, 2012 and the Valley Orchestra to travel to England and Wales to participate in a concert tour as an extension of the World Olympic Dreams project March 13-22, 2013, approved VHS Improvements 2011 Phase 2 change orders for Forrest and Associates (-$176) to make masonry changes, Hansen Company (-$2,133) to make door hardware changes and demo existing doors, Hilsabeck Schacht, Inc. to patch ACT ceilings; Jarnagin ($2,390) to make painting changes and paint penthouse door frames, Nikkel and Associates ($3,392) to delete electrical circuit from the water softener, to make electrical and security changes, and to install new fire alarm devices, Olympic Companies ($81) to make framing changes; Proctor Mechanical (-$919) to change the water softener and make modifications to mechanical systems, Siemens Industry, Inc. ($2,034) to make security and technology changes and furnish new fire alarm devices, Tri-City Electric Co. ($288) for technology changes, and approved a Walnut Creek Campus change order for Rochon Corporation ($373) for additional ceiling demolition;
- approved a rental contract with Hoyt-Sherman Place for the Indian Hills Junior High spring vocal music concert on May 17, 2012;
- approved a new contract with Candeo to help provide students that have been recommended by West Des Moines schools with an appropriate work experience in accordance with state and federal laws;
- approved a contract for $5,000 with the Marriott Hotel for the Valley High School Prom 2012 on April 28, 2012;
- approved an agreement with the United Way of Central Iowa for its Early Literacy Intervention Program for Hillside and Phenix to provide $20,000 for each school to purchase reading materials for small group instruction and independent reading;
- approved a proposal for an Electric Transformer Replacement at Walnut Creek Campus for $31,115.28 and a Letter of Understanding for an Electric Transformer Installation at Stilwell Junior High with MidAmerican Energy;
- approved proposed student fee/fine schedule for 2012-13;
- awarded the sale of School Infrastructure Sales, Services And Use Tax Revenue Bonds, Series 2012;
- approved bills for payment dated February 27, 2012 in the amount of $4,111,291.72.
Additional information and all contracts noted above are available in the board packet.
Above is an informal summary of the actions of the West Des Moines Community Schools Board of Education at recent meetings. This is provided as a service to district staff and the public. This is not the official minutes of the board meeting, but a quick rundown of action taken, not necessarily in chronological order. Official board minutes must be approved by the board per Policy 212.1 and then are posted on our website (www.wdmcs.org).